Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July food, rice salad recipe

Traditions are important - and the food for the 4th of July seems to be a tradition at our house.

The carpenter turned cook has already got a potato salad made, and is planning one more grocery run for morning to make sure he has all the fixin's for BBQ. I think he's going to push me into making some other salad - and it won't be hard to decide what it will be, since the menu is the same every year! Macaroni salad and "ugly salad" it will be.

If you've never tried "ugly salad" now might be the time. You start with a box of Rice-a-roni fried rice mix. Cook it according to the package instructions. Then you add the good stuff:
A half cup or so of finely chopped green onions,
A small can of artichoke hearts, well chopped (save the juice)
A small can of chopped olives
A small can of water chesnuts, chopped finely (toss the juice)
A half cup of mayonaise.

Before you chop the artichoke hearts, drain the juice off into the cooked rice mixture. Then chop everything, dump it into the rice, add the mayonaise and mix.

I first saw this when I was working in a restaurant and it was on the salad bar. I thought I should toss it, because it looked like it was turning green. Well, as it turned out, it's supposed to look a bit green. I never heard the name, so I've called it ugly salad ever since. As soon as I tasted it, I asked for the recipe, and it has become part of our traditional holiday food.

We wish you a joyful day, and remind you that to ensure that it remains joyful, be careful with fireworks, and put your pets indoors.

Animal rescue groups know that on July 5 they will begin getting calls about lost pets, and a few found pets. Unfortunately, they don't always match up, and there are more lost than found. Fireworks scare critters, and they run so hard and so far that they sometimes can't find their way home. Keep them safe - keep them in!

Wishing you a fantastic 4th!
Marte

No comments: