Thursday, October 1, 2009

Better Fried Chicken Recipe

For the last hundred years (at least) I've been frying chicken the same old way... but recently I've made some changes, and the difference in taste is amazing.

First I cut up the pieces, removing the tip from the wing and cutting the breast in two so it can cook faster. Usually I remove the bone as well. Often I remove the skin from all but the legs.

Next, in a deep, narrow bowl I combine milk, an egg, and spices... salt, pepper, garlic, sage, and my new one: oregano. I don't know what possessed me to sprinkle in oregano one night, but it made all the difference!

I coat the chicken and then let it sit in this mixture, marinating, for an hour or two - or longer. Depends on how long before dinner I think to go get it done.

When it's time to fry, I put about 3 heaping tablespoons full of flour in a bowl and add those same spices again, plus about 1/2 teaspoon of paprika ... then dredge each piece before putting it in the pan.

I don't use a lot of oil - perhaps 1/4" in the bottom of the iron skillet - and I do get the oil hot before adding the chicken.

Fry on medium heat - keeping an eye on things and turning the pieces often.

If you like this, keep playing with other spices you like. Who knows, one day you might accidentally stumble into Colonel Sander's recipe!

No comments: