Saturday, December 6, 2008

World's best pie crust recipe - Sally says so!

Hi all, I'm back.

Got a little side-tracked there, and was actually going to let this blog go and just put all the recipes on the Cooking with Carl website. But I have a bossy kid and he convinced me to change my mind. So, in honor of returning, I'll share a new recipe just given to me by my friend Sally.

She brought it home with her after a visit to her daughter in Minnesota - and she swears that it's the best pie crust she's EVER made - or eaten.

Combine:
4 cups flour
1 3/4 cups shortening
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup VERY COLD water
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 egg

This recipe will make crusts for 4 pies - and here's the best part. You can make one pie today, roll the remainder into 3 balls, wrap them tightly, and keep them in the freezer until you get the urge to make another pie.

Apparently, this dough is so elastic, you can roll it out thin without it breaking into pieces. My old recipe calls for 2 cups of flour and it only made enough crust for one pie.

I can hardly wait to try this...

1 comment:

Marte said...

I finally tried this recipe myself - and I'm never going back to the old one!

This dough is so elastic and easy to roll out - no more messy broken crusts. And even better (?) it tastes wonderful!