Sunday, December 28, 2008

Boiled Raisin Drop Cookies

These are the cookies "Grandma used to bake" when my kids were small. Because I have no self-control when there are cookies in the house, I don't bake often.

That's why, when my son called asking for the recipe I had to go on a hunt.

It took a lot of searching through all the little slips of paper in my Mom's old cookbooks, but I finally located it, and thought I'd share.

These cookies are soft and cake-like, so when you layer them in a storage container, slip a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper between the layers. Otherwise they'll stick together.

2 cups raisins, boiled 20 minutes
1 cup of juice from the raisins
3 eggs
1 tsp.soda
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt

Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt - set aside.

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat thoroughly. Add the juice from the raisins, alternately, with the dry ingredients. Add the raisins and nuts.

Drop by spoonfuls on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 12 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

No comments: