Saturday, February 28, 2009

It started out to be beef stew...

But after I had the chunks of beef browned and was ready to transfer them to the crock pot, I realized that I really was NOT in the mood for potatoes - or carrots, either.

So, what to do?

I rummaged around in the pantry and came up with a can of kidney beans. Then I found a can of tomatoes and one of tomato sauce. So I dumped them all in the pot on top of the browned meat. In the freezer I found my bag of dried onions, so I put a handful of those in as well.

And then... I had to think about what spices to add. My husband isn't as crazy about chili as I am, but I figured I could get away with a touch of chili powder. I probably added about 1/4 teaspoon.But that didn't seem like enough spice, so I did a couple of shakes over the pan with the cayenne pepper. I had already used salt and pepper and garlic on the meat as it browned, but sprinkled a bit more garlic in for good measure. I like garlic on almost everything.

As dinner time neared and this mixture still looked pretty much like soup, I got out the cornstarch. Putting about a tablespoon full in a small bowl, I mixed it with some cold water and then added it a little at a time until my mixture looked thicker, but not gooey-thick.

To finish the meal, I mixed up a pan of cornbread and steamed some frozen green beans. I ate my cornbread like bread - but Carl cut it in half and poured the meat and tomato mixture on top.

I don't know a name for this non-stew, but it tasted good...

Send me your inventions - I'm always looking for something different for dinner!

No comments: