Sunday, January 4, 2009

Beef & Rice Stuffed Green Peppers

My retired carpenter is falling down on the job lately, and leaving the cooking duties to me again. I guess he thinks that plowing and shoveling snow all day gives him a pass.

Maybe it does. I'd rather hang out in a warm kitchen than in the cold snow.

So, because I get bored cooking the same things over and over, I've been searching for old recipes that I used to like. I found this stuffed green pepper recipe in my Mom's old cookbook. It's a good way to use up that little bit of leftover ground beef - and you can add it cooked if you happen to have a leftover burger patty in the fridge. Just crumble it.

This is kind of like having old friends come to visit...

6 green peppers
1/3 cup rice
3 cups canned tomatoes
2 cups water
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1/4 t. onion salt (or 2 Tablespoons minced onion)
1/2 cup crumbs
1/4 - 1/2 lb. ground beef

Wash the rice. Bring the tomatoes and water to a boil and add the rice and salt. Cook until the rice is tender, stirring frequently. Add the eggs, onion salt, bread crumbs, and ground beef.

Wash the green peppers and remove the seeds. Then fill with the rice and beef mixture. Put these in a dutch oven or baking pan with sides, cover, and cook at 350 degrees until the peppers are tender.

No comments: