Saturday, May 24, 2008

Ever try a carrot sandwich?

Today I volunteered to help out at a ladies' fashion show and tea fundraiser, and I came home with a new recipe.

All the members of this group brought tea sandwiches and/or treats to serve to an audience of about 60 ladies. I've never before seen so many calorie-laden goodies get eaten so fast! From tiny cherry tarts to cream cheese stuffed strawberries with chocolate, to old fashioned brownies and cornflake/peanut butter balls - the goodies were abundant.

But what was more interesting to me (because too many sweets make me queasy) was the variety of sandwiches - including one I'd never seen before. It wasn't very pretty, but talk about good! Served on whole wheat bread, the filling consisted of nothing more than cream cheese filled with finely shredded raw carrots.

We don't serve tea sandwiches around home, but my bet is this would make a great spread on crackers.

Thinking about goodies prompted me to add a new page to our "Carl Cooks" website - so as of now you can find the banana bread recipe that's been used in my family since a friend shared it with my mom some time in the 1940's. You know it's good, or we'd have found a new one by now!

So you can enjoy it too, here's the direct link to Mrs. Lydia Falk's Banana Bread recipe.

Wishing you a happy Memorial Day week-end...

Marte

No comments: