Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Homemade bread, less an ingredient

Yesterday this old "carpenter turned cook" made a batch of homemade bread. In fact, I made two batches, because I forgot to put everything in the first time.

The recipe I'm using calls for cooking oil, and I left it out. I thought I'd mention it, because it wasn't half bad. Anyone trying to cut calories or cut fats might want to consider making that mistake on purpose.

Meanwhile, I'm finally understanding why my wife used to get so annoyed when she'd ask what I wanted for dinner and I'd say "I don't know." It really is hard to cook "I don't know!"

The worst of it is, I can see she's getting even. There's something in that smile when she says it that looks just a little malicious. I think the woman is having fun watching me try to do what she's been doing for the past 40 years. I KNOW she's having fun when she sits down with a book and waits for me to put it on the table.

Do you think she'd like to have her job back? No? I didn't think so either.

Any of you guys (or gals) have some ideas for fast and easy dinners, shoot them over.

No comments: