Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Can you call it chili if it contains corn?

Yesterday I was at a potluck-type function, and one of the ladies brought a soup that caused quite the discussion.

At first I thought it was tomato soup, made with milk, because of the color. But, the aroma said no, it was taco soup. It definitely smelled like taco seasoning.

Since we had to heat it, everyone took a turn at stirring, and then the debate began. It was definitely soup - more liquid than anything else. But then, there were the kidney beans, and the baby corn, and some other lumpy things. Later I found out those were small pieces of diced chicken.

The person who made it said it was "Southwest Chicken Chili." One of the other ladies said that was ridiculous - chili can't have baby corn. Someone else said chili didn't have milk, and someone else said chili didn't have taco seasoning.

So, what's your opinion? Can it be chili and have those ingredients?

All that talk about chili made me hungry for the kind I make, so today I browned burger, tossed in a huge can of crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, chopped onions, and (cheating) 2 envelopes of chili seasoning from the spice aisle in the grocery store.

My only concern is that the pot won't make it to dinner time. I keep having to go back to taste it - just to make sure it's still as good as it was a half hour earlier.

I guess if there's not much left by then, my carpenter (who should be happy because he doesn't have to cook tonight) will just have to fill up on corn bread.

Wishing you something as good for dinner tonight as my chili!

Marte

Marte Cliff, Copywriter

No comments: