Sunday, August 10, 2008

Molasses Cookies from another era

Not long ago, at a potluck, I commented to a friend about how much I liked the cookie I was munching. He said "Well, your Uncle baked it." Wow. I didn't even know my uncle baked!

He had been there and left, so the next time I saw him I mentioned the cookies, and he said "That was my Mother's recipe." Then he offered to write it down and bring it to me, and now I bring it to you. He's promised to bring me more of her recipes, and I'll share when I get them.

Keep in mind that my Dad was one of 7 kids, so Grandma's recipe makes about 9 dozen cookies. My Dad would have been 92, so my guess is this recipe has to be at least 80 years old, if not older.

2 cups of lard (I expect that shortening will work if you don't have lard?)
2 cups of sugar
2 cups of molasses
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons ginger
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves
9 cups of flour
4 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla
3 cups of oatmeal

My uncle didn't include mixing instructions, but I would guess that the first step would be to cream the lard and sugar, then add the molasses, eggs, and vanilla. Meanwhile, mix the flour, baking soda, and spices together, blending well. I'd mix that in, and add the oatmeal last.

He said that you could leave out the oatmeal, but I sure liked the taste of the cookies with the oatmeal included, and of course, roughage is good for you!

Here's to happy munching!

Marte

No comments: