Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Roast Beef Hash - made his way, or my way?

The other night my husband cooked roast beef and we had a pretty good chunk left over. I don't know where that roast came from, but the darn thing was kind of tough. Maybe he just cooked it too long.

Anyway, he didn't want to make sandwiches of it, so said I should grind it up to put in the dog food. I, carrying some of that thrifty Scandinavian blood, said no. Let's grind it up and make hash.

I had in mind baked hash - with ground meat, ground onions, and shredded left over potatoes. I got those ingredients all ready and put it in the refrigerator until time to finish cooking dinner - intending to add some beef broth and an egg or two just before it went in the oven.

Well, I went on out to the garden to pick raspberries, and when I came back, my carpenter was cooking hash on top of the stove. He had some bacon grease in the frying pan, which was good, and he did put some eggs in the mix, but no broth.

And you know what? It tasted really good. Just goes to show that I really am not a necessary accessory to the kitchen. I like that.

Yours for good eating,
Marte

No comments: