Saturday, August 16, 2008

Summer Squash - an idea and a recipe

My favorite thing about summer squash is just a bit silly - I love to watch it grow.

If I go to the garden in the morning and again in the evening, I can see how much it's changed, and that's fun. But after that, it becomes a bit of a problem. It grows so fast and so well that there's more than we can use, and I've never been all that fond of the stuff. So, what to do with it?

I did learn one way to use it up tonight, much to my surprise. I found out my horse likes it! I offered him a small piece and he gobbled it right up, along with the spinach that had gone to seed.

You may not have a horse, or you may not want to feed him squash if you do, so here's a recipe my neighbor says is "Out of this world." I haven't tried it yet, so no promises!

Summer Squash Recipe:

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced onion
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
4 cups diced summer squash
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice

In a large saute' pan, melt the butter and saute' the onion until limp - 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika, sugar, and poppy seeds. Add the squash, salt, and water. Cook uncovered until the water evaporates and the squash is softened - another 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the squash and stir to mix. Add the sour cream and lemon juice. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes more, until the sauce thickens. Serve immediately.

According to the recipe, this is 4 to 6 servings...

Yours for good eating,
Marte

Marte Cliff
writer@marte-cliff.com

No comments: